richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseabluez View Post
richard,
I was checking out your pics in another thread, and your ride looks pretty sweet! It seems like you got it fully loaded. May I ask if you think the IDrive is a good to have or a must have or barely necessary? The reason I ask is because you mentioned you picked up a dealer car so I'm assuming you didn't have a choice and thought I'd get your take on it.
I've had iDrive in 2 other BMWs since 2006. It isn't a necessity but if you want/need Nav, you'll get the extra features as listed in another thread but repeated here:

The Navigation is the biggest thing you get with the Z4 iDrive. The new iDrive version is an improvement over older ones.
It also gives a nice display to the iPod (showing playlist, album, artist, song, time counter, and track #, not necessarily in that order). You get a full display for SAT radio, etc.
You also get an expanded trip computer, showing distance to dest (near the range display), & ETA among other items.
Lastly, all of the car setup options are thru iDrive menus instead of using the turn signal lever and guage display.
I almost forgot the ability to load songs into internal storage. I've not tried that since I have an iPod.

Bottom line, if I would have ordered a car for the purpose of saving lots of money, I would have been happy without it. But since I got a great deal on the car on the lot, I am happier with it. Same goes for the PDC & DCT.
Appreciate 0