View Single Post
      04-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Shindog32
Shindog32
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Overheat 2006 E90

I have a 2006 325i with 76,000 miles on it. I have never had any issues with this car, Ive changed the oil and filters regularly and have only had to install brakes and a new battery since I purchased it 4 years ago with 38,000 on it. It did have the tapping noise recall done under waranty witch I belive was change out the lifters. other than that no problems untill yesterday.
I was driving from Houston to Dallas on a fairly busy roadway averaging about 80mph and about 81deg. outside (fairly cool for TX). About half way (2 hours on the road) the car over heated and went in to limp mode. I babied it to the next exit (about 10 miles) and let it cool. There was coolant all over the passenger side of car and fans were running full blast. Car cooled down and while waiting on tow truck (2hours out) I decided to add coolant and check for a leak. Contary to what the BMW shop had told me the car did not stay in the limp mode and ran fine. I drove it about 15 miles and checked for leaks/issues and all was fine except for the check engine light. So I drove the rest of the wasy to Dallas and got the codes read.
The car runs rough at idle and has the following codes:
P171, P0174 P1445. I was hoping to find out if anyone knows what could have happened here? No sign of a leak anymore so could the coolant have just been low and caused the overheat? Honestly when the extended warranty expired about 1.5 years ago I have NOT checked the coolant. I just figured its something that doesnt just evaporate so I never checked it.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0