Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR33R View Post
Sounds like a dealer from hell to me. Unless they admit to removing the wheels it is very hard to prove they did and what's more they don't need to remove them. They can check brake pad wear without removing them, you can even check them yourself.
I would ask them if they removed the wheels and for what reason, if they admit they did i will take it further as this is a very dangerous practice, the wheel could fall off and result in a nasty accident.
I always instruct anyone that services my cars or getting new tyres they are not to use rattle guns on wheel nuts, bolts in BMW's case.
A few years ago I had some smarty tell me that rattle guns are used in car assembly, not correct, they use pneumatic torque wrenches. There is a difference as they don't hammer the fasteners and they are set to a specific torque.
Just in case you are not aware when you are checking torque with a calibrated torque wrench it has to be done while you are doing them up not after they are done tight. If they are done up a lot tighter than specs you will not know how tight they are . If they do them up very tight the bolts will stretch and they are much weaker then. Something else you should know, if you lubricate the bolts before you install them, reduce the torque and depending on what kind of lubricant you use as to how much you reduce torque.
Interesting to know what the service department tell you when you ask if they removed the wheels. It maybe better to ask via email so you have their comment in writing.
Was it the passengers side with the loose bolts?
Thanks, will keep that in mind re torque of wheel nuts.

The nuts left loose were the right front and rear both of which they would need to use the specific lock nut key so presumably they tightened the others and forgot about going back to do those. The third was a standard nut left loose on the left rear wheel. Hard to believe we pay exorbitant amounts for the service only for it to not be done right. I hate to think what else they did/didn't do.
Appreciate 0