View Single Post
      01-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Normally this would be the case. However, we can measure timing advance/retard while on a dyno and don't have to guess what will happen.
A stock M2 has an agressively tuned engine which already pulls timing on 91 without needing extreme conditions. Terry Burger measured all this several months ago. His HP/torque/timing measurements are also pretty much what one would expect from the similarly sized N55 turbo at 15-16psi.
To put it another way, a stock M2 will dyno slighty higher on 93 than 91 under same conditions.
Sure, sure. That I can believe. I does make sense that an M2 headed for the US market with a US market tuned ECU woudl have provisions to take advantage of 93 octane fuel as it's readily available in many states. But are the provisions there to take advantage of, say, 100 octane? Maybe BMW would spend the time to work that into the engine management code. I dunno.

I'd love to see some back to back dyno pulls with 93 octane and 100+. if it keeps on making more power I'll very happily stand corrected....and go by some octane boost

It would be pretty damn funny if folks spending $5k to $10k on exhaust systems and intakes for 0 Hp gain can be showed up by a guy and his $4.99 bottle of 108 octane boost.
Appreciate 0