Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The E46 relied on gas mileage to determine the service interval. If you do a lot of urban driving and mpg is low, your intervals are shorter. Simple and effective. Not sure if the E92 is the same. What mileage you been averaging? I'm down around 13+ doing mostly suburban/urban.

Make sure the dealer has the filters in before you take it for service. My dealer is not expecting them until next week..

BTW, check over on the "DIY/Servicing/Maintenance" forum for related posts.
To be more specific, I believe the service interval is set by gallons/liters, not by efficiency (i.e. MPG). Harder driving = more gallons = shorter service interval. This applies primarily to lubes while wear items such as brakes and plugs are more heavily weighed on actual mileage. At least that's how I understand the story.

These early service intervals may not reflect what's an optimal time to change the tranny and diff fluids, but rather may simply indicate that BMW overestimated the MPG that would occur during break-in (and therefore underestimated how many gallons of fuel would be consumed). In my case the *cumulative* MPG has been:

8.9 MPG after one tank (mostly city)
12.1 MPG after two tanks (2/3 city, 1/3 highway)
14.3 MPG after three tanks (1/2 city, 1/2 highway)

Based on the EPA projections my car is nowhere near the efficiency it should have. As I posted in the other thread:

If you take it in now, you'll get lubes changed, but not the filter. Second concern I have is - is 800 miles long enough to break in the engine, tranny, and diff? If not, you'll live with contaminated lubes until the next scheduled service, which will be a LONG time, specially for the tranny and diff

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0