krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
I'm 30 and had the same plan as you, was also looking at GTSs at mobile.de
I borrowed Cayman S for a week (as a DD and my only car going to and from work + a track day):
PROS:
- Sound - there is not much to add here, just awesome.
- Looks - everybody is noticing it, mine was white but GR is gonna be even more noticed, mostly kids pointing fingers and envious/happy people commenting
- Awesome mechanical even analogue sports car feeling
- Ride comfort - similar to my current GTI which was a surprise
- Great handling and balance on track
- Lot's of storage space with the frunk and trunk
- Good mileage
- Great interior despite outdated and irritating Nav system

CONS:
- In city DD if you want to hear the engine you almost don't leave 2nd gear which goes up to 70 MPH
- You can't exploit the handling performance in city driving
- In tight parking spaces I couldn't get into the car when somebody parked close to me (I'm 6'2 and the car is low so you need to have room to get down and slip in)
- On track brakes overheat quite fast due to lack of air ducts cooling them - can be retrofitted from 911
- A bit uncomfortable seats for me (too narrow in shoulder area) but got used to it after few days

I was really into it but when I got into M2 it gave me much more fun at much lower speeds and as I don't have great winding roads here to exploit it (only track) and would use it in DD running errands, I became a bit frustrated with the limitations. I also fear that after driving it every day it would loose the magical feeling it had when I first started driving it.
Having said that I'd still get it but as a second car with MT and X73 suspension for weekend/track use.
If you like getting lots of attention and don't mind limited fun in city driving - do it, nothing better out there in that price range.

Yes i totally agree, from what i have read and watched the ratios are stupidly long when really in a car like that they should be shorter, also the back of the car just doesn't do it for me, the GTS is like a woman with huge boobs and no ass and a big ass is important, like with the GT4 the spoiler literally makes that car look awesome, i would use it as a DD but again only 2 seats and lack of boot space.

However the temptation of the naturally aspirated engine ( probably the last generation of Cayman to have one ) and the handling overrides all that, like you said in an ideal world i would have both. and saying that if the Cayman had the same body as the GT4 with the wing i'd take it, but it just looks too subtle to me like something is missing from it. but lastly i don't think there is a better sounding exhaust out there for this price range, on the overun the burbles are incredible.
Appreciate 0