FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
It's funny because some of us hated the steering feedback on the e92 m3 to the point tuners came out with some coding to add some weight and feedback for owners.

When you compare to the e46 the e92 servotronic is somewhat atrocious. Quite frankly my F87 M2 Competition is superior in feedback to my e92 though feel is definitely difficult to mimic with EPS.

Mind you even Chris Harris stated the F80 was "much better then the E92 which was artificial" and he actually owned an e92 as well.

Nonetheless steering feel and feedback is subjective.

However IMO my F80 M3 was definitely a notch below my M2c but I had a 2016 and believe it was improved upon shortly after on the F80 competition which Chris enjoyed for 6 months.
Interesting. The M2 is the first BMW I've owned since an e36, but I've driven a handful others hard at autox, etc. I think there are a few different kinds of "feel." There is road grain and texture. Nice, but not really important. Then there is weight/resistance in proportion to load. Which helps you feel when a front tire is overloaded and slipping into understeer. There is zero of that in my LCI M2 in sport mode (with all traction aids fully off). No clue that you've gone past slip angle and into actual loss of grip. Maybe it is there in comfort mode, but the car can't be driven fast with the traction control on. It's too intolerant of the kind of slip angle street tires need to carry in order to be using all their grip.

At dead center when just driving down the road in the M2, there is actually some road texture coming through the wheel. That tells me there is a good rack under there somewhere, just needs the electronics to do less and let it be.

Iirc Chris Harris drove the M2C and thought the steering was much better. And that seems to match what others have said about the comp vs og. I've heard they finally fully nailed it in the M2 CS... But that's kind of a moot point since it's a much more expensive and limited car. The OG M2's steering may well be better than the generations of BMW you're speaking about. But it's still way worse than it should be.

I'm coming from a 996 and the steering, while lighter in effort, did a great job of telling you exactly when the front tires were fully loaded up and then transitioning into slip. Maybe I just set the bar too high for what I expect from BMW...
Appreciate the response.

Haven't driven an e36 for more than 30 mins and it was during a winter storm so was going extremely slow due to the lack of proper tires.

Also only drove the OG M2 for quick test drive but didn't pay much attention to anything other than the suspension and engine as I was thinking of going from the F80 S55 to M2 N55 and wanted to see if the power was enough.

Eventually M2c came out which kinda made the M2 a moot point for discussion.

Having said that the M2c was driven in m mode most of the time and traction off completely quite a few times. It was a lot easier to control than the 2016 F80 due to the lack of spike in torque down low in the rpm which was handful in winters here as I preferred the rwd as my daily.

Both the M2c and e92 M3 were quite easy to control once they let go. I don't think I'm qualified enough to address the intangibles of either generation of M cars at the limit but overall I felt the servotronic in the e92 failed in comparison to my M2c and my e46.

Also I don't think you can compare these cars to any of the Porsches. I had a 987 for a week in San Fran 5 years back and that was the first Gen of electronic steering in a Porsche and they hit it dead on. Can only imagine a 996.
Appreciate 0