09-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
ultraturtle
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonh View Post
I'm trying to decide which EVSE to install for my i3 that arrives next week. I was planning to do the Schneider 30 amp, 7.2kw -- but then my electrician suggested I should move up to the Leviton one that is 32 amp, 7.7 kw. He says the i3 charger can go up to 7.7kw (not 7.4) and so I would get a significantly (though not extremely) faster charge through the Leviton unit than through the Schneider unit. Of course the Leviton unit is more expensive (by about $300) than the Schneider one.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have to offer on this. Thanks!
Both the unit marketed as 30 amp, and the one marketed as 32 amp most likely put out equivalent max wattage. The J1772 protocol negotiates max amperage using a PWM signal in something of a step manner. Both units use the 50% PWM signal level to trigger the same max power. In the US (SAE) the definition of the "ampacity" (ampere capacity) is split for continuous and short term operation, while the IEC has included the same ampere steps with only one nominal definition. Hence a manufacturer may chose to market his device as either 30 amp (SAE) or 32 amp (IEC):

Appreciate 0