04-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Viffermike - It's not so much the manufacturer "allowing it to happen" as it is the technology available at the time the vehicle was manufactured.
It is in terms of Wi-Fi. As I stated previously, the EVO head units that have been in our cars since spring 2015 are Wi-Fi-capable. What that means is that 2 Series cars have had the basic hardware to enable Wi-Fi functionality for nearly two years. It just chose not to enable it in our cars until this model year -- and, I suspect, it did this to align with wireless CarPlay availability.

On top of that, iOS 8 was released in the fall of 2014. So if BMW had wanted, it could have enabled a form of wireless CarPlay in 2015 models. It chose not to -- and claimed it was not interested in CarPlay at all at the time. Instead, Hyundai was the first mass manufacturer to feature integrated CarPlay in 2015 -- and it really only appeared in multiple makes in the 2016 model year.

Quote:
You could also make the argument that for some manufacturers cost might play the biggest role in the system they choose to offer.
Not in BMW's case. Evidence: It charges $300 for the option.

Quote:
You are correct that BMW was the first automaker to offer wireless Carplay support in the 2017' 5 series, however as I mentioned in my post the vehicle was a 16' Santa Fe. The wireless technology just wasn't available from Hyundai's supplier at the time the vehicle was built.
More evidence: The flip-flop on CarPlay alluded to above. BMW fell behind because of that. The wireless CarPlay debut in the 5 Series was likely Apple's way of helping to re-establish BMW's iOS-related market position after that gaff.

Quote:
Harman is one of the main suppliers of telematics systems for manufacturers. They now support it so manufacturers that they supply will be able to offer it on new vehicles.
And IIRC, Harman International supplies BMW's EVO head units. So I've got to think that's BS on Harman's part -- either that, or it institutionally got seriously behind the 8 ball with mobile Wi-Fi hotspot hardware. That won't happen again now that Samsung owns it.
Appreciate 0