05-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I posted mine a while ago here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ardon+settings

Pasting them below as well:

All - I've been messing with the Harman Kardon settings over the past month or so. The default settings are pretty crappy in my opinion, but I realize this stuff is subjective.

My beefs with the default settings:
- 2nd Row and Rear speakers are hard to get "involved"
- Front speaker bias
- 2nd Row and Rear speakers don't output high range at all
- Soundstage/voice is biased to the passenger side (sounds like vocals are coming from the passenger tweeter - maybe due to how each tweeter is aimed).
- No real punch all around.

After messing around with different settings, I found that using Logic 7 Surround with the max (furthest right) surround setting was the best way to get the rear speakers to "get in the game" - especially with regard to bringing out their higher end. But setting the Surround to max biased the speakers to the rear so I needed to use the fader to bring the overall sound back forward a little. To get the sound stage/vocals more centered, I nudged the balance over to the left.

EQ settings, I just messed with until it sounded good to me and had a little more punch. Below are all my settings. If others have settings they like, post them for others to try.

Logic Seven Surround: Enabled
Surround: +2 (all the way to the right)
Treble: +4
Bass: +3
Balance: Left 1
Fader: Left (F) 2
Equalizer:
100khz + 4
200khz + 2
500khz 0
1khz +1
2khz +2
5khz +4
10khz +5

I'd also recommend tuning your settings listening to:

a) A song you are very familiar with

or

b) A song known to have excellent production and range

I use "Rosanna" by Toto. Not my favorite band or song by a long shot but it's well produced and is an excellent track to make sure you are getting the entire range out of your system.

Another good artist to setup/test against is Steely Dan. Anything produced by them is exceptional recording quality (Hey Nineteen, Peg). Not a favorite band, but another good one to use when trying to dial in a sound system.
Yes, this is what I was searching for earlier this week but the lousy search function on this forum made it impossible. I swear to god I knew I had seen this thread at some point prior to getting my car and then I couldn't find it.

Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0