View Single Post
      12-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #1656
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Chili con dos carne and cornbread, our New Year/New Year Eve tradition.

Dos carne = ground sirloin and beef rib roast leftovers.

I would like to hear about chili philosophy from the Texans on the site, there are more than a few.

My chili is never the same twice, and is based on the idea of a beef, tomato, onion and bean stew. I like a thinner consistency, and with a modest quantity of red kidney beans. For me it is about the beef, tomatoes and cumin.

The game changer is beef stock from scratch, using bones from the rib roast. The cartilage gives a smooth consistency that can't be achieved using store bought stock or boullion.

Basic recipe, all seasonings to taste:

6 qts beef stock, scratch made using rib roast bones is best
1lb beef rib roast, cubed
1lb ground sirloin, browned
2 large white onions, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large can red kidney beans
1 large can stewed tomatoes
2-3 T tomato paste
1C approx chili powder
3T approx cumin
2 cubes beef boullion
salt
pepper

Brown ground beef, drain fat. Saute onions in ground beef, and add garlic and tomato paste at the end. Add meat mixture to stock. Add beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer for at least 3 hours, 6 hours is better. Adjust seasoning a couple of times per hour. Freezes well, and leftovers are better than the fresh batch.

Serve with skillet-baked corn bread.

The store bought boullion is a small cheat on this recipe, because I didn't give myself enough time to make the proper quantity of beef stock, and to reduce it to the right consistency and flavor.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25086.00
Dpc2u11503.00