03-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Ok, I had the center console remove - (front and back)

I took the 2 pieces plus the 2 ash trays or coin holders or whatever you want to call them to my upholstery guy who will be wrapping it. We have an issue...In order to wrap the door that open and close on the ashtray covers, he has to take the door off. Can anyone confirm whether it will come of or not ? BMW told me there is no way to remove the door because it is basically on a hinge that opens n closes.

Anyone?
The "door" on the top of the ashtray will not come off, but the trim piece on top of the ashtray will. I don't know if that makes sense...What I am saying is that the trim that you see on top of the ashtray is attached by 5 pins that latch to the plastic ashtray door. You can use a flathead screwdriver or a plastic pry tool to CAREFULLY pop the pins and remove the trim. Then you can just give them trim to your guy to upholster. This step is also part of the non-smoker package conversion, so removing the trim piece is the same.

It seems that you've already removed the ashtray from the console, so just pry the trim from the top ashtray door. Once it is upholstered you can just pop it back on.