Thread: DIY oil change
View Single Post
      08-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #13
clutchless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Toyota Sienna

I just changed the oil on my 2022 X5 X40i at 5,200 miles using the instructions and video presented above. Thanks! I used a BMW oil filter and Liquimoly 0w20 that meets the BMW spec. I have been changing my own oil for decades, mostly on Japanese cars and a Ford Explorer.
I found the filter did not drip much at all when removed from the car. However removing the filter from the can requires a twist and a heavy pull to snap it loose. I was surprised at how easy it was to remove the drain plug bolt. I expected more resistance.

I followed the recommendation above of 6 quarts plus 12 ounces which is 204 ounces. The jug of LiquiMoly that states it is 5.28 quarts. I calculated that adding 35 ounces more to that would be 204 ounces. After filling it up and warming up the vehicle the engine oil calculator advised the oil level was fine. I was hoping for a quart reading, but it just said all was good.

I actually invested in a small torque wrench to be sure I got the recommended 25NM torque on both the filter and drain bolt. I never do that on the Lexus and Toyota that I own relying on my experience to know when they are tight enough. However having little German car experience (aside from owning a couple of used 2002's in the 1970s) I decided to play it safe.

I did not reset the oil change monitor.

FYI I also invested in the MotivX oil funnel that claims it fits BMW and Lexus. It comes with 2 screw on adaptors and claims to screw into the oil filler hole so you don't spill oil on the engine. The BMW adaptor that has 2 metal tabs does not fit the B58 engine. There is apparently another adaptor called the quarter turn adaptor that fits the B58. I am still searching for it.

Last edited by clutchless; 08-08-2022 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00