View Single Post
      04-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
The other m2 comp threads have a lot of good insight but there's just too much of the flame wars with people accusing current m2 owners of being butt hurt and others accusing the non m2 owners of being zealots. Also, they seem to be discussing individual components and upgrades a lot and I'm trying to get a feel for the car as a whole.

I'm in a situation where I'm deciding between getting a 2018 for a discount between $3.5k and $5k or getting a July build for the competition at msrp. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me trying to decide.

My motivation to get into an m2 was because I test drove a 135is and loved the feel (I was in a stripper 328 at the time). Then the 1m was announced and it was my dream car. Unfortunately, I missed it and I was deeply regretting it until the current m2 was revealed. All of the promotional content for the m2 at the time had it being displayed with the 1m. To me, bmw was saying that the concept of the m2 was the same as the 1m but with some tweaks to make it a little better. I don't think that the m2 is the same as the 1m but the m2 stock comes close enough to what made me fall in love with the 1.

Reading through all the info regarding the competition, I can't help feeling that the m2 comp is going the way of the m3/m4. Perhaps then, the new m2 comp is most appealing to those looking for a baby m4 and the 2018 is more appealing to those who love the 1m for what it is? I'm really interested in driving feel. I'm interested in the New carbon-fiber friction lining for the manual transmission as well as the new LSD and new steering feel and the suspension bits taken from the m3/m4 zcp. Did they just have to change the steering logic to account for the heavier front end in which case it was more of a necessity than an upgrade to the current m2 steering?

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who extensively drove the 1m and the m2 and the m4. I know some of you guys can read between the lines of all these specs on paper. There's no doubt that the m2 comp is the upgraded car but if it has become too close to the m4 then i'd rather just get a m4 zcp because those too can be found with a discount.

P.S. I don't care what I can sell the car for later but i do care about what i'll be paying for the car now.

Thanks for this. I'm also interested in hearing more about the difference in driver experience or how some of the new additions function. This without the background drama noise though...

If I'm hearing right, it seems like you have two questions to solve. 1) Do I generally like the M2 model 2) Do I like the current M2 or do I care more about the upcoming M2 Competition?

1) If you don't love it, it may be worth checking out other cars in the market or waiting for something better.

2) Taken with a grain of salt, there are points beaten to death around here. You'll be able to make your own judgement.

What's my story?
I put my name down on the waiting list in 2016 and got a call in 2017 and passed for a spot because I heard about the LCI. During that time, this forum was great for me to learn about the M2 Comp which I continued to pass up my allocations for this new version.

When I first saw the M2, I wanted it. Even after being partially upset that it had the N55, I still wanted it but really wished there were more separation from the M235i and M240i in terms of power among other shared or similar parts. For me, the M2 Comp checks these boxes and even though I don't absolutely love everything, I'm sure it would be great and it fits what I'm looking for.

After I purchase the car, I hope BMW continues building great cars so others can also have the type of enjoyment I'm expecting.
Appreciate 1