Thread: 3GT vs X3?
View Single Post
      04-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
netsurfr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
I was totally surprised when I looked at the GT first time. Having owned a 3 series before I never in a million years expected a 3 series car to be doable for a family and I'm 6' tall & 225 lbs so not a small guy. When I measured and realized the rear seats were actually more roomy than the X5 (especially for my kid on a car seat) I was floored. Then I measured the width inside the rear seats and the GT is just 3" narrower than my X5 finally the trunk and measured that and was sold. For sure go test one out. My dealer let me borrow one for a weekend so I could do a real test drive w/ family and "stuff" to make sure it would work. Like I said I am coming from an X5M so comfort/size/performance were important. We have a 4 year old so storage for family & kid stuff was critical and although I have gotten used to M performance the 328xi GT put a big smile on my face when I test drove it but I opted for the 335 for even more performance. You sit lower to the ground than the X5/X3 and handling is much better than any SUV (even one w/ M) so you feel like you have a sports car that can comfortably carry adults in the back seat, gives you SUV like visibility as the driver due to higher stance, and have plenty of storage in the back for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEssad View Post
Netsurfr, thanks for the response. Very interesting to hear the GT has a longer storage area, and I can understand why the hatchback would reduce the height for cargo. Glad to hear you're happy with the performance. This is something that is important. I know it won't be the same as other smaller cars, but I need a family car that also responds well. I think I may have found what I'm looking for. (Now just need to test drive).
Appreciate 0