09-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #140
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianX View Post
I think this car with AWD will sell well in the US market. Maybe not to this group of enthusiasts, but I could see the 2GC replacing the recent middle class college grad?s Honda Civic starter car. BMW knows there is a market for the Roundel by young buyers who?s parents drive BMW but thy really can?t afford the 3 series plus at this time. I think that is BMW?s target market. They want to lure millennials into the brand early and keep them as they progress up the BMW numeric series ladder.

As for the naming convention, why not call this a 1 series in the US? There are no cars in the 1 series on this side of the pond? Plus the next series hatches are supposed to use the same UKL platform. I see this 2GC really as a scoped down 3 series which means the 1 series is a good fit in my opinion. I always thought the odd number series were supposed to be practical while the even numbers were to show off the sporty side of BMW.
I think you kind of hit it. Sounds like it will be a very nice car "for what it is" and attract a lot of buyers. Just not what we were hoping for, at least those of us who wanted a sub-$50k RWD architecture sport "sedan." In essence everything we love about the current F22 with a little more practicality.
Appreciate 0