View Single Post
      09-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #137
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

This car makes me sad. It was bad enough that the next gen 1 series is turning to FWD, but I do get why it would make financial sense to make this move, as it theoretically would enable the car to be more practical and cheaper to build (not necessarily characteristics that people associate with BMW, but still).

But since the 2er will remain RWD, it would make perfect sense for the 2er GC to be RWD as well, as even from the product standpoint, someone who chooses a "4-door coupe" is usually more interested in something more sporty and upscale. What I'm saying is the customer of the 2er GC wouldn't mind a little less practicality and premium price, in exchange for better driving dynamics and performance.

I'm not saying that FWD cars are inherently bad, mind you, but they are by default inferior to RWD when it comes to dynamics and balance, and the UKL platform also can't fit anything larger than a 4-cil engine. As much as they nail the tuning of the chassis and the engine in the 2er GC, it simply does not have the same potential as it would if it remained RWD with a 6-cil engine.

More than that though, it really is the death of the compact sports sedan, as the next 3 series will be even larger than the already big F30. So anyone who wants something smaller will necessarily have to buy an fwd based 4 cil turbo, as that's what all cars in this category have become.

The 3 big German companies are all boring nowadays, and they all make the exact same cars, specs sheet wise. I guess now people will just choose between Audi, BMW or Mercedes based on how much they like their multimedia systems...
Appreciate 3
Ramos856.00
clbmw631.00
tetsuo1111224.00