View Single Post
      06-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The OP does display an huge lack of logic. I have changed a lot of oil although I am an amateur. I am also a mechanical engineer but I do not work in the automotive field. We do oil change days at my church every quarter for ladies who need a little help. So in addition to my own I do 5-10 random cars a quarter (no BMWs yet but we have done a few pretty nice cars). We routinely fill oil filters with oil if they are oriented such that we can without making a mess (i.e. if they are vertically oriented with the flange up). We do that to get oil pressure a fraction of a second quicker when the engine is started. Air is not a factor for the reasons already cited. It goes away nearly instantly and does not impede getting oil pressure.

All modern cars have a valve in the engine or oil filter to keep oil in the filter when it is not running. It must be part of the oil filter housing on my bimmer because the filter is just a paper cartridge. On a more typical oil filter, this valve is little plastic flap you see on the flange.

In terms of driving hard, you need to get the oil temperature up to normal operating levels before driving hard. This is because the oil has too high viscosity until it reaches normal operating temperature for the flow to be what it needs to be. Pressure will be up in less than a second but it will actually be too high because the viscosity is too high. What you want is full flow to the bearings before you run hard. That means let it warm up first. Manufacturers recomment 0 or 5W as the cold oil viscosity for the same reason - get full flow ASAP.

Jim