01-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #55
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
This is BMW's problem. In a world where driving dynamics mean nothing, why buy a BMW over a Mercedes or Audi? Both of the latter have better interiors and aren’t trending towards hideous design, and are typically more comfortable. Reliability becomes a moot point with electric drivetrains.

Counterpoint to the “expensive drivers car:” a Miata is much more fun to drive than any new BMW. Honestly, F series and G series BMWs (with the exception of the 2er) are bloated, numb cars - and they were intentionally made this way.

Porsche’s done a much better job than BMW. They’ve capitulated to market trends (the Macan & Cayenne) while still not sacrificing driving dynamics, quality, or style. Their brand identity is intact. A Taycan is undoubtedly futuristic while still looking like a “Porsche.” The iX is hideous, and has none of the characteristic BMW design cues. I’m not an older person either - I’m 24, and will be a part of BMW’s target demographic in the coming decades. Nothing in their new lineup appeals to me, nor do they make a compelling argument for me not to look at a competitor when the time comes for me to replace my E90.

BMW is going to be the new Cadillac if it continues down this path.
+1
Appreciate 1