View Single Post
      08-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The N54 uses two small turbos, in parallel - one on the header attached to cylinders 1-3, the other on the header attached to cylinders 4-6. The firing order ensures that each turbo is fed a near constant supply of exhaust gas and the direct injection (and the valve timing tricks that can entail) help the small turbos produce all 300 lb ft of torque at approximately 1300 RPM (right off idle!). There shouldn't be noticeable turbo lag.

The ZF supplied auto is a six-speed that can pretty much duplicate an MT experience w/o a clutch pedal. Control of shifts are accomplished through the console gear lever or optional paddles on the steering wheel. The thing even rev matches downshifts (as has been noted). This may be the best auto trans made if someone wants an MT experience yet also needs the 'put-it-in-D' capabilities of a slushbox. The only thing better in my mind is the DSC manual that VW/Audi has, but it's a true manual (w/o clutch) that can imitate an auto - rather than an auto that can imitate a manual.

I'm still getting a stick because my commute to work is from the upstairs bedroom to the den downstairs each morning. (Very light traffic!! ; -)
Appreciate 0