02-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I had the hardest time with this in my BMW because apart from the temperature select, there's also that temperature select on the vent itself, so when I was trying to get heat and it was cold outside, it would just send ice-cold air at me. Why the hell there's a secondary temperature select on the vent makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. The car wants to run the A/C all the time, most newer cars do, to keep from fogging. When i turn on a car in the winter though, I want heat as soon as possible....
The temp wheel on the center vents is there to mimic older 1980s BMWs with manual HVAC systems. The E21, E24, E28, E30, to name a few, had a HVAC system that allowed cool air to flow from the dash vents, while warm air could flow from the footwell and defroster vents. The temperature dial had to be at or less than 3/4 from highest setting. The purpose was to allow cool air to flow on the driver and front passenger's face and torso in the situation where it was a cold but sunny day, to counteract the solar-warming effect from the sun on the cabin/greenhouse.
Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00