04-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oln08 View Post
Thanks for the video and writeup! This will really help me a lot when I change my G20s suspension to BC Coils.

Few questions though:
1. Do you think lowering the front shocks without removing top hat work for G20? Didn't have to remove the top hat of my F30 when i replaced my springs. I just supported the brake disc with a jack, removed the strut nut from the engine bay and slowly lower the entire assembly down, then pulled the springs out. This method works for my M2 also.

2. I tried to find all the torque specs for the bolts and nuts but newtis.info still doesn't have most of the torque specs listed on the website, I initially decided to use the torque specs of the F30 for the G20. If you don't mind sharing where you found the torque for all the bolts and nuts? or are you also using the F30's?

3. Do you have any experience with BC coils? Planning to get this for the G20 as daily driver.

Thanks!
1) That could potentially work if your model has short springs. The springs on this 330i base suspension were really long. That method didn't work on all F3x vehicles, I tried it on my F31 xDrive.

2) NewTIS is still missing a lot. For the items NewTIS didn't cover I looked at the bolt diameters and thread pitches for G20 and compared it to F2x/F3x, and while the PNs were different (due to minor differences in the bolts, like the length) the thread pitches and the nuts were the same, so the same torque spec could be used.

3) I don't have any first hand experience with BC, but everything I've seen suggests they're a lower quality part. Good for making things "feel stiff" but not the best for longevity or creating a smooth, coherent, and controlled ride. Also, the spring rates they usually suggest don't have flat ride frequencies, which the OE suspension does, and helps the car settle faster to create a smoother ride.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
oln0881.50