View Single Post
      08-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Honestly, anything with over 5k miles will be saving you money since these cars depreciate heavily. I haven't bought a used car in a while, but if I were searching I would try to stay anywhere under 20k miles depending on how old the car is. (the newer the car, the less miles it should have in my opinion when buying). A quick search on cars.com has shown me that 320i's with about 10k miles or less are selling around ~$20k (lightly optioned/strippers) to ~$30k (heavily optioned), and 320i's with 20k miles are selling for around ~$20k (heavily optioned). I believe BMW has once again changed their warranty system to 50k miles/4 or 3 years (not too sure), so a car with 20k miles or less gives you 30k (or more) left on the warranty with enough time to decide if an extended warranty is what you want, but it all depends on your financial situation/want for extra protection.

Also one option is to try searching for cars at Carmax. I've seen a ton of used 320i's at my local Carmax, and after watching Doug Demuro's Carmax warranty video on his Land Rover (long story short he got a bumper to bumper for 60k miles/6years, and its covered over $13k in repairs, with the original cost being around $3.5K) it seems like Carmax could be a great place to find a car. The only downside is no haggling, but their prices didn't seem horrible, and I believe if you don't like the car within the first week it is returnable.

Otherwise, I highly recommend buying used cars, let someone else take the depreciation, and enjoy the fact that your wallet has extra cash in it. Your not losing much by buying a used car. The only reason in my opinion to buy a new car, is if you need a specific car with specific options at a specific time, which is why my 540i is my only car I've bought new.
Again, thanks for the great information. I will look into used ones, though the less committal relationship of a lease sounds appealing to someone like me. Most the used one's at my dealership were over 20k miles, or way under and barely cheaper than a new one though.

I'll check out carmax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
they aren't going to bring the 320i over at least initially if at all. If you are going to buy a 320i though just pick up a used one with the sport pack. Feels great, and cars with not too many miles are in the 15-16k range. Or get a CPO.

if they bring the 320i G20 over eventaully or you change your mind later and pick a faster one, you can always just sell it. Or you could just lease a 320i sport new and delay your decision. All of these are going to be much better than a prius to drive.
Very interesting, may be the route I end up taking.

I appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0