View Single Post
      07-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Modded E90 vs stock F80. Guess what's in the garage?

Looks like the modded e90 vs stock F80 thread went off the deep end.

I think it's a useful discussion still, can we try to keep it civil, folks?

I have owned 5 E9x M3s, a 2011 E90 DCT, a 2011.5 E93 DCT, a 2012 E92 6sp, a 2013 E92 6Spd and a 2011 E90 6sp. All have been modded, I've tried Dinan, KW V3, KW Clubsport, Eibach + Bilstein, PSS10, Ohlins, Motion Control and a few other suspension setups I'm sure I'm forgetting. I instruct with a couple of the clubs around here so have a decent idea of what I'm doing on track.

Just wanted to make some comments - hopefully we can keep this a civil conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Okay, I'll make it really quick. I have an E90 6MT with the following mods so you know where I'm coming from before my extended test drive yesterday in the new M4 with DCT and adjustable suspension. Highway and back roads all done in full Sport Plus mode for steering, throttle, suspension and DCT.

The good:

Great brakes. Kills my car.
Great seats. Way more supportive-really holds you well.
DCT. Instant shifts.

The bad:

Engine. Yes the torque is amazing. But the IS turbo lag no matter what anyone says. It is not instant response like the S65. The engine is the heart of the car, and this thing doesn't do it for me. No sound at all from the engine. Only the exhaust, and not very inspiring.

Suspension. Nice and flat. But it ain't no Ohlin.

Steering. Good for EPS-way better than the Cayman. BUT not as sensitive as my modded hydraulic, and without the same feedback and feel. Too much play on-center. Sorry.

DCT. Instant shifts, but really only good if you track. And I track quite a bit at LRP. DCT too robotic for daily driving without enough driver input. Don't need no stinkin' rev matching done for me.
So, I have an E90 M3 that I'm parting out. Ohlins, Vorshalg camber plates, AP racing BBK, solid subframe bushings, rogue tension arm bushings, 275/295 AD08Rs, Akrapovic Evolution, Evolve tune, etc. I instruct with a bunch of the track clubs around here.

The E90 feels slow and it doesn't stick as well as my F80. It rides way worse. It doesn't take a set as nicely and is harder to deal with.

The F80 has zero on center play. Not sure what was wrong with your car, but the ratio is faster, the turn in is better, and the car takes a set faster than the e90. The steering feel does suffer. You can't tell when the front wheels are slipping... but most of that is because the front wheels AREN'T slipping. The e90 understeers way more, even with the additional camber I run.

Sound - there is no comparison, the E90 with Akrapovic or any of the other 30 exhausts I've had, sounds miles better. The F80 is pretty decent above 4000 rpm and in boost, but it's not very entertaining from a sound perspective at idle or on startup (especially cold start - my wife thought UPS had come, that's how bad it is)

Anyway, my verdict is that the E90 is being parted out. I really like the e90 platform, but the F80 does just about everything except tickle the ears, better. It's especially better at lightening the wallet, but there aren't many people reading the F80 boards that are horribly hurting for money.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0