View Single Post
      06-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
You are not alone with those temps. See this link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65095.

I’ll give you one guess who was driving the Step in this case. An engineer friend told me the Step is cooled by a heat exchanger at the bottom of the radiator and that the Step is introducing enough extra heat to the system to max out the cooling capacity of the radiator. Just look at these coolant temps compared to the manual trans. If you plan on taking part in HPDEs you may want to reconsider the Step.
Thank you for the warnings! However, yes I know about that thread, you'll find I'm a regular in that forum. In fact, I was the one who initiated (or at least was the 1st one to be approved for) the whole air-to-oil cooler retrofit campaign for those without it, check the archives of this forum. I also talked extensively to BMW corporate about this and they all assured me that limp mode engages significantly below any actual damage causing temps.

The new ZF tranny is fantastic, I'm not giving up on semi-autos. Perhaps BMW will redesign the tranny cooler as well...
Appreciate 0