View Single Post
      10-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Car and Driver Lightning Lap - Full Article

Hoping this isn't a repost. Tried a quick search, but could not find the full article link on here.

So, for our enjoyment:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-class-feature

M235 Excerpt:
"Ever wonder what it’d be like to drive out of a showroom in a brand-new E46 M3? This is as close as you’ll ever get. Sure, the M235i is a lot heavier; all cars are. And maybe the electrification and robotizing of everything in the 21st century has chilled some intimacy out of the experience. But this semi-compact coupe with the big six is the finest fusion of track-day toy and commuting joy you can buy.

It only takes a session or two before you’re certain the little BMW is giving its all. The sensations through the seat and steering wheel hide nothing about the contact-patch situation. The easy, intuitive operation of its perfectly placed controls, down to the snap-click action of the automatic transmission when you order a shift, means you never blow laps wrestling with sloppy source code. Within a few laps, the M235i, cool and steadfastly neutral on its Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires, never wavering in its braking ferocity, had gnawed 6.5 seconds off the time posted by a 2008 135i. That’s a credit to its inherent calmness and predictability, and the ease by which you can access the car’s maximum performance.

BMW’s pricing lofts the M235i into our LL2 category, against a grab bag of some very formidable vehicles, including the Chevy Corvette and the Cadillac CTS Vsport. Still, the 2 finished mid-LL2 pack in most sectors, above where its price, power, and weight say it should. Obviously, there’s more speed available out there if you can afford it, but scant more refinement or driving satisfaction."

Nice write up Especially in the same class as the new Stingray.