View Single Post
      11-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManTrackSedan View Post
I can't seem to find this specific question via search. Anyone know if, while flash tuning with mhd, instead of using a charger, I can use another running car and jumper cables to keep my battery from dying? Good/bad idea? What would be the step-by-step for that?

Edit: Also if I do buy a charger, how many amps should it be capable of/is the car pulling, while doing such a thing?
I have heard 70 amps, which likely requires a 20 amp receptacle at the other end. I over-researched this topic back when I was doing the ABS pump, unnecessarily. I was just afraid of the car losing power in the middle of the ABL bleed, does that mean I start the entire bleed over.

It seems that units that provide clean power @ 70 amp are in the $500 ballpark. The idea is that if the car starts drawing 70 amps, the voltage is a steady 13.8V. If you buy a $70 walmart charger that does 100 or 200 amps, as the car draws 70 amps, the voltage spikes up to 16 and electronics could be damaged. That's what I found through my research. People who have the money buy the right stuff. But, I had also identified that the power supplies for RVs are in fact identical, and cost a fraction of the price, and do provide clean power.

What tipped me off to the power supplies used in the coding world, was watching the YouTube doing the ABS pump, I did not know what he had hooked up to his car at the time...
Appreciate 0