View Single Post
      04-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

A lot of people will say 'sport +'. I'm going to argue for plain sport mode, and with it set to 'chassis only' (in idrive). The reason is that sport + enables the 'fast throttle' setting. Plain sport will also do this if not in 'chassis only'.

The 'fast throttle' is a problem because you are traction limited accelerating out of a corner, and with the 'fast throttle' you lose a lot of fine control. It is much harder to apply just the right amount of throttle when the power delivery is not linear.

Others will say 'DSC Off'. I only do DSC Off for auto-cross or small/slow training tracks. Places where your speed stays relatively slow (<60 mph), and if the car gets away from you it won't hit anything. If you are out on a big track (a real race course), and the car gets away from you, it is very easy to hit something and really mess things up. And a small tight auto-cross course is the perfect place to play with letting the back getting a little out of control. At 100+ with a wall 20' away, not so much.

Every HPDE weekend I've been to, some poor person loses it and destroys their car. I gave a ride home to one of these people, and the level of regret was heartbreaking.

Sure the nannies will kick in a bit if you're just in Sport mode. But frankly, in most cases, that means you probably aren't driving smooth enough.

Oh, and definitely transmission in sport/manual mode (clicked left), and manual paddle shifting. You really want the control of manual mode, and the quick shifts of sport mode.
Appreciate 0