View Single Post
      07-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, that is another interesting topic I wanted to discuss. If ppl wish to obey traffic laws and rarely go to the track, cars are already way over-powered. So when carmakers talk about their next model w over 1,000HP, etc, that is just insanity. I'd rather they just focus on the driving/handling aspects as I couldn't care less about massive HP/top speed.
Yes exactly this - It's part of the reason why a lot of newer cars have been turning me off... they're just too fast for the road. Give me something smallish, light, short wheelbase, 6-spd, with around 250-300 hp and you've got something you can absolutely wring out and enjoy on the roads without going lunatic speeds. People are so obsessed with tangibles that they completely forget about the intangibles of driving... living in the upper rev range, listening to a glorious intake and exhaust note under load, fundamental chassis balance, power delivery/curve, etc. All of these things typically require that the car fundamentally is not overpowered for its use.

Again, it's all relative to use, so the above is specifically referencing cars that are used on roads/canyons. If we're talking track, well that's a whole 'nother story and something like a modern M3 starts to make a whole lot more sense.