07-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Yes, ofc that is a fair comment. All I'm saying is to some ppl, they overvalue sound way too much, making it trump all, even at the expense of performance, which is ridiculous.

The worst it may sound is muted/less sonorous, right? Not as if it plays the Benny Hill soundtrack everytime one hits the gas pedal.
But that is subjective - no?

For instance - if 350HP is plenty for me and they have a 400hp v6 with great sound and a 600hp quad turbo 4 that sounded like a bumble bee trapped in a soda can - I'd choose the 6. So in that instance you are right - I would be choosing sound over performance.

But only because the one with better sound ALSO has all (or more than) the performance I need.

Now change that 400 to 200 and that 600 to 400 - and I'd just have to learn to live with the sound......or mod it to my taste. Then I would be choosing performance over sound.

I don't think anyone would choose solely on sound no matter the performance - but it certainly matters. Especially in a world with so many great choices in all price ranges. If you nail everything and miss the sound - it will cost you sales, no doubt about it.

I'd even be willing to admit as an old bastard that grew up with muscle cars growling down the road - my taste in what sounds good is different from those that grew up in the fart can era. It's all subjective.

Luckily - there is options for all of us...........