View Single Post
      06-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Tracked my M3 for the 1St time today.

I did my 1st trackday today with the M3 at the Mosport driver development track and I had a ball!This car is a marked improvement over my previous E46 M3 on track.The track is very technical and in the M3 is taken in 2 & 3 gear only with a lots of transitions and is used primarly as a training track for Bridgestone F2000 school.
The car was set up with a brand new set of Toyo R888 in 255/35 18 & 265/35 18 and the M-drive was set with DSC off and the EDC to the firmest setting & steering the sport setting.I tried using the middle setting for the shocks and I noticed that the car did not feel very well tied down compared to the firmest setting.
On track the balance is vey good with just being a little pushy on turn in,going to slight oversteer on balanced throttle to big power slides if you are quite agressive on the go peddle in both 2 & 3 gears.The brakes worked very well and I was much more aggresive with them as the day went on and only a bit more pedal travel & lots of pad dust and no vibration on the drive home and that is with stock pads.The oil temp stayed at 125C on a 32c day and that engine is great on track with no issues and transmission is seamless also and is almost intuitive the way it shifts.
The only thing that concerned me is the diff starts to make a lot of noises when it gets hot as the racket from them keeps getting louder as it gets hotter.It is making the same sound as my old Mustang diff did when it was ready to go south.Once its cooled off the sound is gone and after 10 or so laps it starts up again.
Overall I am very impressed with this car.I think BMW got it almost right 1 st time out! The last session I was playing a new C6 Z06 on Hoosiers that could not get away from me and the times that I was turning were at the top of the street driven cars and not far off the GT cars that were there.I cannot wait till the next one!
Appreciate 0