12-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #21
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I get your point and on a long continental drive it makes for a nice break. However, there's pretty long contra flows with narrow lanes in the uk that do just fine.
There's also pretty established ways to maximise safety in long tunnels these days, and plenty of monitoring and technology to enforce it well. Though perhaps not so much at the time when the decisions were made.
I don't think it makes it any better or worse being a train. If it's quiet, you get straight on, if it's busy you get delayed a bit, but not too much.

I've been through the Mont Blanc tunnel a couple of times, and that's just the same. Arrive when it's quiet and straight through, but arrive at a busy time and there's a big queue due to the time gaps allowed in longer tunnels.

I'll be on the Eurotunnel train in a couple of days coming back from a long drive. I quite like the idea of a power nap after a 7 hour drive. A lot of people heading to Calais returning from holidays have had a long journey up, even if they have broken the journey up a bit.

I'd bet the average time behind the wheel in a contra flow in the UK would be significantly lower than the driving time people have had before they get to Eurotunnel. Not a great envoriment for a lot of potentially tired drivers.

I'm another that prefers the train.
Appreciate 0