07-16-2022, 11:48 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
Monitor Audio makes a solid speaker.

I thought about adding 1-2 JL Audio 10" subs instead of getting new towers, but I am all about a proper full range speaker for my 2 channel room. These A5s have (3) 9" cones each; I need nothing more. Deep reproduction without any boominess. My Velodyne HGS18 can shake the whole house, but it is not needed for music. I do hope to soon set up a secondary surround area for the kids, and will get the sub back online for movies.
The thing with using subs is that you can place them in a location in your room where it's optimal for bass performance. Many times this is not where your mains would normally go. The other thing is using a sub is applying the principles of bi-amping without actually going all out. Cutting out the lower frequencies reduces the strain your amp needs to drive the full frequency range through your mains. But you probably already know this.

The 4 N804's and HTM-1 I have in my main listening room are all crossed over at 80 Hz with a high pass filter. My subs handle frequencies below 80 Hz. I actually decided to run a somewhat unique setup where my HGS15II handles frequencies from 80 to 40 Hz and my DD18 picks up at 40 and goes all the way down. As convoluted as it sounds (pun intended), this setup works very well. All the speakers integrate seamlessly with each other.

Last edited by zx10guy; 07-16-2022 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
MCM41109.00