11-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
I hate to say it, but if you wanted a smooth ride on uneven roads, why did you buy a 3-series??

This is a SPORT sedan, it's supposed to ride stiff, that's why it handles like a dream in the twisties. If you want a smooth ride, don't buy a sports car because it "looks cool". I too live where the weather sucks and the roads are awful. But I knew that going it, and accept the harsh ride for the handling I get. It's a trade off, but one you have to decide on before you buy the car. I have the 330i with sport package and 18" RFTs. It rides rough, and I don't mind! If I wanted smooth, I'd buy a Buick.
I have never considered the 3 series to be a 'sports car'. It certainly handles incredibly well and feels very sharp and balanced for a sedan/saloon but I wouldn't quite put it in the 'sports car' category. I have driven several E46 3 series in the past and they were more comfortable (I also test drove the E90 before I bought it and didn't notice anything terribly bad then). I think the addition of RFTs combined with the general suspension-stiffening trend in this segment means the 3 has become a bit too uncomfortable on poor surfaces. Unfortunately, the level of discomfort is something you only really discover when you have lived with the car for a while.

I am not looking for a pillow soft rolly-polly suspension either (we can't buy Buicks here btw). I just want a good balance between ride quality and sporty handling and feel that that the balance just isn't right on the E90 unless you are driving on very good roads.

As the driver, the 'compromise' is a bit more acceptable as you tend to brace and anticipate the thumps but that can get a bit tiresome on longer runs. The passengers are the ones who really don't like travelling in the E90 and I care about them too :-)
Appreciate 0