View Single Post
      12-31-2007, 03:09 AM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

335i pricing was not released until the car hit dealer showrooms. This does not bode well for getting M3 pricing all that soon. If LA did not have pricing, I see no reason why Detroit would either. Although, we have heard that dealers may get demo cars in Jan.

BMW has their reasons to do this and think it is all about the competiton. The price of the car is really important becuase they have to make it last (along with some small year upon year increases) for the life of the car, which will be about 6 years. No one can judge the economy accurately 1 year out, let alone 6. That being said I do think it is a disservice to many folks who are considering the M3 but have already neeeded to or will soon need to make definitive decisions about their next car or next lease, etc. Without a price most simply will not make a decision (obviously). I'm sure BMW believes that the small pool of folks adversely affected, as well as all of us hardcore enthusiasts who simply really want to know right now, do not represent a large enough sample to feel obligated to our curiousity/anxiousness/desires. You are talking about a half year or so of folks vs 6 years, maybe 8% of the total lifespan buying population.

As much as it sounds like I am defending BMWs ways they still really do piss me off. It makes no sense how folks can be driving the car all around the world and we don't even know our price - IN THE LARGEST M3 market in the world. It helps to keep me from getting too worked up about it when I realize they are in all liklihood behaving in a perfectly capitalistic fashion that is best for them in the long term.
Appreciate 0