johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidschu View Post
Thanks! I added the car description to my first post (2013 bmw 335 x-drive sedan m-sport package) I assumed I had the m-sport brakes since I had the m-sport trim package. However my calipers are grey. Didn't realize the m-sport brakes were blue. Which makes sense now because the stopping power of my brakes never impressed me.

In the future I may upgrade to those brake lines you suggested. I'm hoping I don't need rotors right now but if I do I'll look into those too. The hawk 5.0 pads sound good, anything with less dust would be great haha. I will look into those and probably place an order tomorrow.
BMW causes a lot of confusion with how they throw around their marketing term "M Sport" on their various models. With the F3x 335/435 it's easy to tell by color if you have the grey standard brakes (rotors are front 340mm x 30mm/ rear 330mm x 20mm) or the blue M Sport brakes (rotors are 370x30/ 345x24).

On the used market you have to be careful because there are lower model F30's that come with blue front calipers that 340, not 370. The 340 and 370 calipers have identical pistons but the castings are stretched out on the 370's to accommodate the larger diameter rotors. See photo.

You can tell which brakes an F30 335 came with from the build sheet. If you plug the last 7 digits of the VIN into mdecoder website and look at the listing, the P337A means standard grey brakes and S2NHA means M Sport brakes.

My 335 came with standard brakes. For various reasons I first upgraded the rear calipers and rotors and later the front calipers and rotors. There is little difference in the two variations of front brakes. It's the rear M Sport brakes that make all the difference. They cause the car to squat more level under hard braking where the standard brakes tend to nosedive more.

It is a big expense to swap calipers and rotors even with used parts. If you have standard grey 340/330 brakes you can still feel a big improvement by just upgrading to Hawk 5.0 pads and the stainless steel brake lines. The StopTech lines are only $106/set and labor isn't much if you do it at the same time as a brake fluid change which should be done every 2 years for safety anyway.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0