View Single Post
      11-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
nate977p
Rep
Drives: Future: F30 or E84

Potentially joining the ranks, need some advice :)

Hello All,
I wanted to ask a few questions before I take a plunge on a new (used) car and most likely join the BMW community. I have spent hundreds of hours figuring out what car to get and I have narrowed it down to a few. I am down to a BMW F30 (328 or 335), BMW X1, Cadillac ATS, or Volvo S60 T6 R-Design. Now I know these are all a bit different, but my main needs are:

1) Commuting-I commute between 20-25k/year (maybe a bit less going forward, but above average) so the car needs to have the ability to be comfortable (i.e. dream car would have adaptive suspension).

2) Reliability-A CPO or extended warranty helps here, but I would like to keep this car to 200k miles or so.

3) Sporting- I cannot deal with a car that is not fun. Handling is #1 in this department, with the ideal being an adaptive dampener setup. I hate using 0-60 numbers, but I do require some good pickup so being around 6 seconds and under is a requirement. Would prefer manual and RWD, but those are a dime and dozen in these northern climates. RWD needs an easy to add LSD (i.e. X1 sDrive28i there is no aftermarket support for one).

-Utility-Really all these cars are better than my current car’s trunk and have useable rear seat space.

I currently have a Monogram Series FR-S that is very fun, but not practical, and a bit down on power. Also, it is not comfortable for my long drives; I have put over 50k on it in 18 months.

My questions:

1) F30: I have a lead on a 335i RWD with EVERYTHING and paddle shifters. It is a ok color (Meh) and has 48k miles on it. The problem: it is a 2012. I really hate the idea of a first year car, especially with all this tech and it has a 11/29/11 build date meaning it was built in the first month of the F30. It is also from a local independent, but high quality, luxury used car dealer. Carfax is clean, but looks like oil was changed at 17k and 37k (it was a lease). Also the hood stuck a bit. I am planning on driving it to BMW for a pre purchase inspection. But it is right in my budget. So am I being crazy by worrying about it being a very early first year and from a independent dealer, even if it passes the BMW dealer pre-purchase inspection? Also, I know we only have a bit less than 4 years of history, but how do the N55 F30 hold up over time? It looks pretty well from my searching?

2) F30 ActiveHybrid: These look amazing and I found one with 48k miles on it for $24k? If it checks out am I crazy not to get this? Or maintenance nightmare?

3) E84 X1: For whatever reason I love these: Basically E90 chassis, a 3-series wagon that is raised 2 inches, hydraulic steering, pretty peppy in 28i spec, downright fast (for what it is) in 35i spec. I have a lead on a 35i CPO (has 47k miles) for a bit more than my budget. Am I crazy in getting one of these for the extra utility? It kills me there is no aftermarket support, but I can get a lot more in an X1 for my budget. How are these for long term reliability? Do I become the unloved child of the BMW world if I get one? I also have a lead on an 35i M-sport that is from a private party just a hair out of my budget with 48k miles, but no CPO scares me a bit.

So does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you all for reading my long message here. Just a big decision and BMWs are all new to me (even though I have researched left, right, up, and down .
Appreciate 0