11-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #94
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I hope that is the case as I am a huge fan of Newey. He has more constructors championships than most teams. I am surprised that he has remained on the back foot since the end of the Blown Diffuser era.
I'm not sure that RB has necessarily been on the back foot in terms of car design - they've been known for consistently-incredible aero design (this season outlying). They've been lacking in the power department for essentially the duration of this formula, though. Depending on where they take the engine over the next couple years (since Honda's leaving the sport), they could finally be in a position to make up for that power deficit, at which point I imagine we'll see them keep much closer with Merc (and Ferrari, barring this season).

2022 is wide-open though. We all expect Mercedes to be strong, but with the budget restrictions and the disparity in infrastructure technology between the teams, P1 is honestly up-for-grabs by any team at this time. It just depends on how well they can capitalize on that ground effect, which given Newey's history, I expect RB to do very well with.
Appreciate 0