View Single Post
      01-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #17
Shawn_speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6Sp.

Good points have been made here. So we interrupt your normally scheduled programming for a cooking lesson. I season my wok after every use. I never wash it with detergent or use scouring pads in it. Just warm some water in it, wipe the water around while on the burner, rinse, dry and put it back on the burner and set on high. Then I put a little oil in it and coat the whole thing using paper towel. The oil will heat, smoke and then coke and harden. This is called seasoning. If you examine any good cook's wok, it'll have a hard, black coating in the bottom.

Essentially this process can happen in a turbo. Stationary oil in the turbo will overheat after the car is turned off through a process called heat soak. The oil will coke and harden. It is akin to clogged arteries. The turbo can turn as fast as 200,000 rpm; if the oil supply to the turbo’s bearings is impeded in any way, they'll be ruined real quick.

Hence the old turbo timers and the electric coolant pump in the 335 to circulate coolant after the engine is shut off as well as the properties of the newer synthetic motor oils.

Shawn
Phoenix
Appreciate 0