11-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
Congrats ktdw, nice numbers!

I'm wondering about your 6mt launch and shift techniques as I am a novice about these things. Are you launching from idle or blipping? Light throttle with smooth increase or mash? Slipping clutch or more or less just drop it? Power shifting or just very quick shifts? shortshift kit and/or cdv mod? Shifting at 7K rpm? Sorry for all the questions just want to learn and get better.
I really not the person to be giving advice on launch and shift techniques. It was all trial and error, you see what works and what doesn't. My first run I was spinning the wheels halfway down the track...probably would have been the worst run for a 135

My plan was to try to keep the slippage to a minimum off the line. This is hard to do, especially if you are next to someone with drag slicks, for example - because your competitive juices are telling you to punch it, and they will always have more traction and a better launch. BTW, it's much more fun to catch them from behind, and blow past them at the finish :biggrin:.

Once you get going, I would try to change gears at 6000-6200. Anything higher will only cause more traction problems in the next gear (and I think this range is probably about right for my torque curve and gear ratios). I was a little hard on the clutch when changing gears, but I wasn't completely reckless.

Oh, some have said that you don't go into 4th gear, or it's only right before the finish. I'm guessing I was in 4th gear for at least 3 seconds, much longer than I expected.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0