07-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
I for one choose the PI to go with protonic blue, friends in Germany say the interior is quite claustrophobic in black. My original choice was the dalbergia brown which is classy. That comes with bright blue stitching on steering wheel which I do not like. PI is grey stitching. My car week 32 is a 2014, I think next year BMW will revert to normal change over so 2016 will be a August 2015, making 2015 a short model year.
The upcharge in the USA for PI is half of European or UK destinations, so we are fortunate in that respect.
As for model revisions and elimination of PI in future, I think BMW will try and price up to $200K accompanied by the battery motor from the i3 which already gives a 50bhp extra kick when it comes to mid life revisions.
Incidentally are you buying the BMW wall charger, I found Clipper Creek Model LCS-25P a compact wall mounted alternative which you could pack to a vacation residence or office garage, not that you are EV dependent like the standard i8.
Finally I do not think these cars will be collectibles like the Z8, perhaps a year of scarcity will allow you to sell next year at above MSRP, however technological innovation will make these follow selling curves like a Ferrari 458 for instance. I drove my 458 for 2 years and traded it for MSRP, then promptly lost $80,000 in just under 3 years on an FF !
I too prefer the Dalbergia brown interior (Tera World) and am trying to get that for my Crystal White Pearl car. Hope to hear something on that this week. As for the wall charger, I'm not currently planning to install a special outlet. I understand that the car will fully charge in around 4 hours from a normal 110V outlet, which should work fine for me for overnight charging. BTW, my commute to work is just under 11 miles, so I'm hopeful that my normal travel to/from work can be done solely in Edrive mode. Sport mode will be for the weekends.
Appreciate 0