View Single Post
      12-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #17
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
I think we're talking about the same thing, but we're suffering from two things.

1) Definition of what 10/10ths is. I think that shuttering we both felt is ABS not working properly with the BBK and is thereby braking beyond threshold.

2) You;re assuming that, "If you brake less, as you suggest, you start earlier and do it for more time" and this results in slower overall times.

From the link you provided: "Since it eliminates the sub-optimal moments between the ramp-down from braking and the ramp-up to limit cornering by overlapping them, entry speeds can be higher."

Trail braking is braking for a longer period of time than the 'Off-before-turn-in' method at 10/10ths, but it results in faster times. The key here is that the braking is lighter but keeping the weight on the front thereby increasing contact patch size and controlling weight distribution allowing you increase entry speed over someone who is not still on the brakes. You're overall time on the brakes is longer than the 10/10ths stab before turn in.
No we're still not on the same page.

If you hit ABS, you have overdone it. My rear end wagging is not due to ABS kicking in, it is the differential brake bias from front to back as a result of having race pads up front and regular pads in back. And I hope you realize that the BBK doesn't increase braking FORCE, it just delays the onset of fade due to a larger heat sink.

OK, we're mixing things here. Let's isolate it. All things equal, with completed braking before turn-in:

(1) Braking later and harder will (as long as you are smooth) result in faster lap times.

(2) Braking earlier and softer, as you suggest, will result in slower lap times.

The 2nd is easier as it doesn't require as much precision or smoothness. Are we in agreement there? The less time you spend slowing down, the more time you spend at higher speed. Do you agree?

Now the ultimate advanced technique is braking late and hard AND trail braking. Again, holding all else equal:

(a) Brake earlier, less hard and trail brake your way through the turn-in will result in slower lap times

(b) Brake later and harder and trail brake your way through the turn-in will result in faster lap times

Are we in agreement that (B) will result in faster lap times?

In both situations, holding all else equal, braking later and harder will result in faster lap times.

Put another way: The more time you can spend at higher speed, the faster your lap times will be. The way to get longer durations at higher speed is to spend less time braking. The way to spend less time braking is to brake harder.
Appreciate 0