View Single Post
      04-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
bertsulli
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

SES Light Saga

Hey Guys,

I've been going though repeated SES light issues, so I thought I would post them here to vent and to see if you guys have any suggestions.

I bought a CPO'd 2011 335d last May with around 15k miles. In December, I started having issues with it not wanting to start. I took it in to the local BMW dealer right before Christmas to have the codes read, and they ended up replacing a faulty catalytic converter and doing an oil change. I mentioned to them that I was going to be driving to Chicago (about 800 miles) for Christmas, and didn't want to have any problems. They assured me it would be fine. The car had about 19k miles on it then.

I get to Chicago and the car starts throwing all sorts of lights, from the yellow limp mode to the SES. So I brought it into a Chicagoland dealer, and they ended up keeping it for a month. The SES light was due to low fuel pressure, and they ended up replacing the entire fuel system (high pressure pump, low pressure pump, inlet tube, regulator, sensor, etc). Ultimately they kept having problems with the SES light whenever the engine would hit 3k rpms. All told this service lasted from December 26th to January 21st.

Finally they claimed to have fixed it, and I had to ship it back to Denver on my own. The second time I drove it after it was returned by transport truck, the entire instrument cluster crashed, and the SES light returned. By crashed, I mean the display went dead, no turn signals, no lights, speedo and tach were frozen around 20mph, while the car still drove.

I again took it to the local dealer, and they ended up replacing the instrument cluster. This work was performed Feb 8th.

A couple weeks later, around Feb 21st the SES light returned. This time they replaced a NOX sensor, and DEF fluid valve.

Recently, the car started having intermittent hesitation issues while accelerating and died on my wife at a stop light and threw an SES light along with a brief period of limp mode. The car went back into the dealer on 3/31 and I got it back today. They replaced the fuel pressure regulator (again!) and test drove it 200 miles to see if it would fault. The reasoning being that I hadn't made it more than 200 miles between services.

Today they returned the car to me unwashed, and the fuel gauge was literally at 0. It was so low, that I was unable to make it home before hitting 6 miles to empty, and decided to walk the rest of the way home for fear of running the injectors dry.

At this point, I'm really frustrated and fed up. It's been to the dealer 5 times since late December. I've called BMWNA many times, and have recently asked for a buy back. No word on that yet. What do you guys think? Any way to get them to the real problem? All of these parts couldn't really have failed by 21k miles, right? Can a CPO qualify as a Lemon?

I can post the service records if you'd like the see them.
Appreciate 0