09-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #21
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
So was an F30, but the F80 looks very aggressive. That formula has worked for decades....I have not seen the car, so I remain hopeful, but many have and as many that like it, also hate it. That is typically not how the M3 reveal works, they always look good, but people have their quibbles about other topics, engine, dynamics, performance, engagement, etc...
F80 is pleasant looking but it's a dated look and pretty vanilla as whether you agree or not the rest of the industry is going moving forward in front end design and BMW until recently has been running with overly familiar twin kidney grilles going back to last decade. The twin kidney grilles are iconic but at the same time kind of restrict how much change you can do relative to other automakers that aren't married to a specific grill design. There is little doubt BMW took things to the extreme on the G8x M3/M4 and we really won't know for several years if it was the right call as we will have to see what people's opinions are of them once it gets to the point it's a familiar look.

I am positive that if BMW would have brought forth a car that looks similar to the aging F80 they would have been cooked much like GM with the latest Camaro which simply looked too much like the previous generation leading to them dropping from 1st to 3rd in pony car sales.
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
VetteGuy845.50