United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
Timing CA -timing correction advance? One of the important parameters for determining engine preignition and detonation (knock)
I think its more of deterrent to pre-ignition or detonation and not a knock sensor value. This will be the something to do with how much the timing is changing dependent on rpm, boost levels, intake air temperatures, load, etc. to prevent knock and create the most power. Advancing the timing usually makes more power to a certain extent but will eventually create knock and therefore have to be scaled back in tuning. At the end of the day you do not want any knock, that's how motors blow up, not really sure determining was the word Kamal was looking for. A knock sensor usually retards timing when predetonation occurs, you would then see a more negative timing advance value than normal at a given rpm. I'm sure this could take up an entire thread. Hope I explained it well...
I wrote the response quickly and quite late at night! My wording was poor, but I meant to say something quite similar to what you've just posted. This is one of the parameters that I'd love to learn more about, but can't seem to find a single resource that does an excellent job of covering this topic. Assuming that Timing CA is "correction advance," then positive values would indicate timing advance to yield more power before knock occurs, and negative values would be timing retardation to prevent preignition. I probably just misworded something again.. but that's ok, I'm trying to learn as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
Hahaha, im trying to put in the time to understand everything ahead of ATR coming out!
Same here... I've posted on the Cobb tuning forums multiple times to get them to provide us with some insight into what we should be looking for when looking at data logs to no avail. I'm guessing they'll release a technical article when the ATR software comes out... also, is the ATR program free?

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0