View Single Post
      09-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
bimmer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
What I meant is for you to try to use the high-pass filter, meaning you are sending all frequencies above 40 Hz to your sub. I say this because most vibrations will probably be caused by the lower frequencies. So if you can live without the earthshaking sub-bass, this may be worth a try. The disadvantage is that your subs will then have to play up to the high side of the frequency spectrum coming from the L7 amp's outputs, which I think is up to around 150Hz. These frequencies are not ideal for subs but should not hurt them.

Just an idea you may want to check out to see if it helps you any.

BTW, if you have the low-pass filter set at 60Hz right now that is too low IMO. With the underseat speakers disabled, you will have a hole between the 4" door mids and the subs, roughly in the range of 150 Hz down to 60Hz....
My understanding, and I could be totally wrong is as follows: There is a sub-sonic filter on my amp that has 3 settings. Off, 15 hz, and 30 hz. This determines how low of a frequency the subs will play and can keep the amp from heating up by trying to play such low frequencies (i.e. 15 hz) that the subs could never hit. I have this set at 30 hz, because with my particular subs and the sealed box, I don't think they could hit much below 30 anyhow. Also, there is a high pass filter that is adjustable. My understanding is that this determines the highest frequencies that the sub will try to play. This seems to do well at about 50-60hz for me. Also, the gain can basically go from 0 to 6. I have it set around 2, and that provides nice bass with little to no rattles. If I want to blast it, the highest I've gone is around 4 and that is the "bone shaker", lol. Lastly, the underseat subs are still connected.