View Single Post
      05-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

Exclamation Oh oh guess who went back to JB3? Long post/review!

I'm probably one of the few in here that has tried both tunes and dyno'd with both. There are many positive and wonderful things with the PROcede, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me and decided I want to give the JB3 another go. When I left JB3 the first time I dyno'd quite well given my mods at the time. Only JB3, DCI and a half a tank of 91 octane topped off with 100 octane yielded 375whp on a dynojet dyno. Not bad.

Being the curious person I am, I decided to give the PROcede a try because the JB3 1.1 I had felt inconsistent to me at times. I had the PROcede REV2 installed and felt a great bit of difference. Mainly a strong throttle response and consistent pull each time I opened it up. The torque targeting addition was wonderful and addressed my gripes I had with the JB3 1.1.

Unfortunately I was never able to replicate the same power on the dyno I had made with the JB3 with the PROcede. And even though I used a different dyno..the best I could get with full 100 octane and race map was 352whp. Alright, I thought, this isn't an issue to me as I know dyno numbers aren't everything and dynos vary from one to the other. It's also more about driver feel. With this, the PROcede excelled at. It felt exactly the way I wanted a tune to feel.

Flash forward some months later...

One week ago I had a chance to do some runs against a couple of JB3 owners. After losing to HotRod (as expected) I ran against Driver72 who with less mods and lower octane, kept the race very close. I know there are plenty of variables involved with street races but I was curious to give the JB3 another go since I've heard and read so much on it's improvements from the 1.1 version I had previously. So.. here I am... 2 days after installing the JB3 1.3 8D4 and I can say with all honesty that this is an amazing improvement over the JB3 1.1 I had previously. All my complaints with the previous version were addressed. Having let the ECU adapt itself for 2 days now, this tune feels VERY solid. It's consistent and pulls amazingly well to redline each time just as the PROcede did. In comparison the JB3 retains stock like driver feel just accentuated. Terry installed the unit and has wonderfully explained to me proper usage of the tune. In addition I took home with me a chip burner to keep upgrading the tune as new features and maps are released.

For 2 days I let the JB3 adapt itself on map 3. Basically a lagfix conservative boost pressure map. I believe 13-14 psi depending on mods. Map 3 felt good and strong. Anyone should be happy driving that map on a day to day basis. This morning I decided to play around with the other maps. Switched to map 5, let the oil warm up... and let her rip. WOW! The difference in maps is legitimately noticeable right off the bat. In 1st gear traction is non-existent. You will burn through tires quick with this map but it sure is a lot of fun! Map 5 alone feels as good as the PROcede did on 100 oct. race map. This weekend I will top off my tank with 100 oct and give maps 6-7 a try. I'm betting I'm really going to like these maps as well as map 8 on full 100 octane

To close I just want to say that both tunes are absolutely wonderful. The tech features of the PROcede are amazing and with the CANbus features implemented now, everyone who owns one has a lot to look forward to. Perhaps my engine just responds a bit better to the JB3. Research and development and healthy competition only benefit all of us here. As for me, I'm the type of person who is just too curious to see how each side is doing. So, I now own both tunes and will enjoy the benefits of each as I see fit.

Naturally I will be dynoing soon.
Appreciate 0