View Single Post
      12-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I felt a little out of place at the BMW autocross. But, at the PCA event... wow, fish out of water.

I don't know where to start. This was the PCA weekend where they invite thier members to bring out their non P cars. I took that as an opportunity to slip under the radar into their event and get some seat time. The course was rediculously tight in the uphill section. Also, we got a little bit of drizzle in second half of the day. That made it so that the focus would roll over on the outside front corner and just travel straight ignoring my steering input. Its a different challenge to pay attention to the grip level of the fronts and straighten the wheel when the tires are requesting it. Lots in driving is counter-intuitive. Front drive physics included.

Now, on Sunday, I took my car out. Instead of an autox they set up a DE. Basically an autocross but with continuous laps. It was all 2nd and 3rd gear stuff. At one point, I just stuck the 335 in 3rd and didn't shift untill I came off track 20 minutes later. I ended up driving 100 miles and a full tank of gas... in the Q parking lot. I love the focus. I love what it's teaching me. But, its not comparable to a well balanced, good brake, high torque, good traction, rear drive car.
Appreciate 0