View Single Post
      06-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

I've driven both and have a deposit on an X6 50i. As a current owner of an FX45, I was turned off by the FX50's styling as I felt it was a step back.

I was hoping that seeing it in person would change my mind. The FX50 DOES look better in person, but the X6 looks SOO much better.

The FX50's front seems to cut off too sharply underneath, the grill has this wavy ugliness to it instead of being straight and agressive (like the EX35), the vents on the side (although functional) look really tacky and in general, I feel it looks too similiar to my current FX45.

On the other hand, the interior on the FX50 is top notch, the paddle shifter's are nice (magnesium and wrapped in leather), the tech options also blow the X6 away. If people here took the time to see some of the cool tech on the FX50, it'd probably make them a little jeleous. It has 360 deg. view camera's, hard drive navigation, the hard drive can also rip all CD's you put into it onto your hard drive so you can have your whole music collection stored in your car, the cruise control can speed up and slow down on it's own and even come to a complete stop for you all by itself. With 390hp and a 7sp-auto, it does the 1/4 mile in 13.7 sec which is about what the X6 50i does. It also has active suspension and rear wheel steering.

Now ALL that being said, I felt like the FX50 was really a great option for me as I only drive an SUV in the winter or when I go shopping. But one thing that kept me from buying the FX50 was the driving experience.

The X6 handles so much better than the FX50 and the transmission on the X6 is WAY smoother and faster. The X6 just felt much more like a drivers car and less of an SUV. Plus, the X6 (to me) is WAY better looking and really turns my head when I see it. The FX50 kind makes me say "Damn, they could've really improved the new FX, but they took a step back instead".

Then again, it could also be a case of me looking for something new as I'm not interested in getting another Infiniti that's so similiar in looks.

That being said, I don't think someone who chooses the FX50 over the X6 is making a bad decision because the FX50 has many more pro's than the X6 does. It just happens that the X6 just has that special something that makes me want it more.

- KJ
Appreciate 0