View Single Post
      12-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007/335i/coupe
1/4 mile times are always fun and it's not so much of just a vehicle's performance evaluation, but also the driver's ability.

In the past, I used to think that a good test to see the car's performance was the 0-150-0. However, this test neglects the handling characteristics so laptimes with speed and time check points in a road course is an excellent indicator of a vehicle's overall performance. Wish we all could do a lap on the Nürburgring!
Yes, road race lap times are the best overall indicator. Either C&D or R&T (I forget which since I subscribe to both) is promising quarterly updates on VIR lap times. Personally, I'd like to see them at Road America so I can compare to my own times and I know that track much better, but that's just me One thing to keep in mind, though since we are splitting hairs, is different tracks more fully weight certain factors. For instance, a huge track like RA puts a premium on acceleration and top speed, where as a smaller track like say Barber puts more of a premium on handling for best lap times. And none of those lap times indicate as much unless each car is put on the same brand and type of rubber...something which the better Sportbike-oriented motorcycle mags do in all of their comparos in addition to actual dyno testing, but the car mags claim would be too expensive

I like 1/4 trap speed (versus time) for acceleration because it's much less dependent on the driver's ability to get a great and quick launch.

Weedo - No prob, I'm not ripping anyone, I'm just saying the 0-60 differences are getting so small and can be heavily influenced by so many variables other than power, that in order to really gauge differences a longer run is more illustrative.
Appreciate 0